This Weeks Reviews on Kevchino.com

This Weeks News on Kevchino.com

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

CMJ Day 1 - Magnetic Morning, Springhouse & Life And Times


I woke up this morning headed straight to the doctor and got my flu shot preparing myself for the musical orgy known as CMJ to began.

I picked up my CMJ badge and photo pass at Judson Memorial Church. Every year I get terribly sick from the event so I thought I'd play it safe and stay in to be in good shape for the days to come but . . . I noticed a show at Southpaw a few blocks from my casa which sounded intriguing enough to contradict myself.

I walked in and caught the tail end of the set by Kansas City, Missouri's Life And Times. The band was amazing complete with angelic guitar chimes and a powerful drums and bass rivoting the sounds into bliss. A band I will keep on my radar.

Next up was Jack Rabid of The BigTakeover's band Spring House. They had a fill in bass player for Larry Heinemann. Singer Mitch Friedland armed with his delay ladled nylon string guitar, spit out some college radio inspired jams with drummer Jack Rabid keeping it all in time.

Next up was Magnetic Morning formerly the The Setting Suns. The band fronted by Adam Franklin of Swervedriver and backed by and all star ensemble featuring Interpol's drummer Sam Fog, Jimmy LaValle of The Album Leaf on keys, Frederic Alexandre Blasco of Interpol &The Secret Machines and Josh Stoddard.

As Adam crooned with his lovely voice he and the other guitarist F A Blasco pulled out some amazing guitar sounds with their amassment of guitar pedals that covered the stage floor. If the band were to retire anytime soon they could pull up in thier van in front of any NYC guitar boutique and give them a run for thier money.

The band shimmered and sparkled with Jimmy LaValle's keyboard loops and knob twists and rock and jammed with the all star line up. Apparently yesterday they released a full length entitled Magnetic Morning A.M on Friend Or Faux Records.

I found a track called "At a Crossroads, Passive" off their new LP you can test drive below.

At A Crossroads, Passive - Magnetic Morning

~ Kevchino

No comments: